- “The 6th annual “Castlehackett 8K” 2021 will take place this year albeit in a slightly
different format. We are going virtual this year due to the covid-19 pandemic.
This event has allowed our school and community to develop our world class facilities that
benefit our children and wider community. We have managed to build a running track in the
school, develop our school pitch and put in an all-weather multi-purpose astro surface.
All this would not be possible without our annual “Castlehackett 8k” sponsors, parents,
pupils and the thousands of people that partake in our annual event.” We are looking for the
whole school community to get behind this fundraiser to allow us to keep progressing
developments in our school. We have accomplished so much already and we want to keep
that momentum going. We are aiming towards Phase 4 of our development plan which
is to cover our running track with a synthetic surface. Please spread the word, register
- A huge thank you to the Bligh family who are once again making a donation of €1600 to
the school. We thank them most sincerely for their invaluable continued support. Their very
generous donations go towards educational projects within the school. We will be presenting
the Bligh Awards on the 17th of June. We look forward to welcoming the extended Bligh
family to Castlehackett NS next year. Their last visit was a memorable occasion and our
school community cherishes this special relationship.
- Our School’s Anti-Bullying Policy and code of conduct is available on request.
- Football and Hurling training has been ongoing, thanks to the staff taking these sessions.
Gum Shields must be worn at all sessions.
- CEATIVE SCHOOLS: Romero Games held zooms with our pupils these are one of the
leading video game development studios in Europe.
Toodlelou staged a STEAM Workshop (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math)
this was done to increase young people’s confidence in exploring ideas through a fail-
forward approach to learning that incorporates art, crafts, creations and experiments
and celebrates all participants’ creative abilities.
A big thank you to Corrib Coding for coming out to the school to help children make code.
This was all part of Creative Schools week. It was brilliant seeing online creations from
children being transferred to game consoles. We have recently purchased more I-pad’s to aid
learning. We now have a class ratio of 1 IPad for every 2 pupils.
- The school will close at 12 noon on Friday 25th of June for the Summer Holidays and
reopen on Monday August 30th 2021.
- Thanks to the Galway Rural Development for cutting the school lawns. This work was
- Many thanks to all the staff who are engaging in age-appropriate Relationship and Sexuality
Education and Stay Safe with their pupils over the last number of weeks
- Please continue to ensure your child has no smart phone access and that their internet
usage is monitored at all times. This is vitally important!
- Many thanks to all the staff who will be participating in professional development courses
during their Summer Holidays. We really appreciate their commitment and professionalism
and we acknowledge how this adds so positively to the teaching and learning that takes
place in Castlehackett N.S. every day.
- Our school has also signed up to “dabbledoo Music” these resources have been developed
to help teachers and schools cover all areas of the primary school curriculum, in a way that
promotes creativity and collaboration and instils a life-long love of music. Music is a way
for young people to learn through a unique shared experience, to develop their creativity and
self-esteem while building skills that will help them in their school lives and beyond.
- Engineers’ week was a huge success again in the school, please check out or social media
account to see pictures of our pupils’ creations.
- This year we couldn’t do our annual open day to showcase our school to new
parents/guardians in surrounding areas. Thank you to Stephen Griffin for helping to create
the schools open day video. Please click on the link to take our virtual tour
- Thanks to all the staff that undertook training in Ipads, Dabbledoo etc after school on many
an occasion this year. The staff’s commitment to ensuring the best possible educational
experience for the children is always evident in Castlehackett NS.
- When collecting your child please collect them from the line. Please ensure that you
accompany your child across the car park to your car.
- Thanks to all the staff, Board of Management, Pupils and Parents for receiving a
brilliant report from the Inspectorate on Supporting the Safe Provision of Schooling
during covid-19. Well done to all! This report is available online.
- Thanks to the staff for planting our new flower boxes and to the member of our school
community who maintains the two flower pots at the front of our school.
- The children of Castlehackett eagerly await their school tours next week, please check your
email for information regarding them. As Castlehackett NS is a Nut Free Zone please be
aware not to send snacks containing nuts into the school or on the school tour.
- I want to congratulate our 6th class who are transitioning onto secondary school. For some of
our families this is their last school year in Castlehackett NS. I want to thank them for their
fantastic support of our school down through the years and that they will always be part of
our school community.
I want to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and a safe Summer. Thank you all for the
wonderful support the school receives, it is massively appreciated. Beir bua agus beannacht,